Responsibilities and tasks
The associate professor is expected to conduct research and teaching in the intersection of finance and mathematical modeling and operations research at the highest international level within areas like yield management, asset allocation, stochastic programming etc. Dissemination of research results is expected through scientific publications, interdisciplinary collaborative projects at national and international level as well as through collaboration with organizations and industry. Furthermore, it is expected that the candidate seeks and obtains external funding. Previous participation in operations research projects is an advantage.
The Department of Management Engineering values a combination of theory development and a focus on real-life applications. An example could be applications from the energy industry such as asset allocation in power markets or optimization of revenue in a fenceless fare structure from the airline industry. The Department is team-oriented, and the associate professor is expected to support this through peer activities.
The associate professor will become part of the Division of Management Science. The division has a focus on operations research, operations management, implementation and performance management, and financial engineering.
The division contributes to a number of bachelor and master programs. The candidate should actively participate in attracting and supervising B.Sc. and M.Sc. students. The educational responsibilities also include classroom teaching, lecturing, and examinations. The candidate will also be responsible for the supervision of PhD students and postdocs and will have administrative duties including academic assessment work on all levels. The associate professor must have a well-documented teaching record and will take responsibility for the development of educational programs and courses at all levels.
The division's teaching is mainly concentrated on master level activities, but also includes courses on bachelor level. The educational responsibilities will to the extent possible be related to the research focus area, however flexibility is required. Please note that the expected teaching on bachelor level is required to be in Danish, and on master level it is required to be in English. International candidates are required to take courses in Danish and teach in Danish after a period to be agreed upon with the head of division.
The Division of Management Science has strong cooperation with industry, commissioning institutions, and government research institutes. The applicant should be willing to actively contribute to these activities.
The associate professor is expected to take interest in exploiting the possibilities of developing collaboration with related groups both internally at the Department and externally with other departments at the university (e.g., the Department of Applied Mathematics and Computer Science and Department of Electrical Engineering).
* hold a PhD degree (or equivalent) as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding an Assistant Professorship
* document didactic/pedagogic training Candidates must have demonstrated extensive experience in the area of financial engineering as well as a background in operations research. Applicants are expected to have great international visibility, demonstrated e.g. through publications and collaborations, and are expected to have solid and well-documented experience with joint projects with industry as well as with obtaining external funding.
In the assessment of the candidates consideration will be given to
* experience in teaching and education
* scientific production and research potential at an international level
* the ability to promote and utilize research results
* an all-round experience basis, preferably including international experience
* the ability to contribute to development of the department's internal and external cooperation
DTU offers an interesting and challenging job in an international environment focusing on education, research, public-sector consultancy and innovation which contribute to enhancing the economy and improving social welfare. We strive for academic excellence, collegial respect and freedom tempered by responsibility. DTU is a leading technical university in northern Europe and benchmarks with the best universities in the world.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
Further information may be obtained from Head of Division, Professor Jesper Larsen, tel.: [resource://skype_ff_extension-at-jetpack/skype_ff_extension/data/call_skype_logo.png] +45 4525 3385, email: email@example.com<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>.
Please submit your online application no later than 4 January 2016. Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online," fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
* Application (cover letter)
* Diploma (MSc/PhD - an official translation into English)
* List of publications indicating scientific highlights
* Documentation of teaching experience (e.g. in the form of a teaching portfolio)
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.All qualified candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
The Department of Management Engineering actively researches in the development of management tool and optimization of processes by utilizing and re-thinking engineering driven methods, models and perspectives. It has a staff of 300 including around 70 doctoral students. The Department has close collaboration across a number of sectors including Danish and international partners from industry and public authorities as well as leading international universities.
DTU is a technical university providing internationally leading research, education, innovation and public service. Our staff of 5,800 advance science and technology to create innovative solutions that meet the demands of society; and our 10,300 students are being educated to address the technological challenges of the future. DTU is an independent academic university collaborating globally with business, industry, government, and public agencies.
Professor/Head of Division
MSc Director (Engineering Management)
DTU Management Engineering
Technical University of Denmark
DTU Management Engineering
2800 Kgs. Lyngby
Direct +45 45253385
* Contributions to be spread via DMANET are submitted to
* Replies to a message carried on DMANET should NOT be
* addressed to DMANET but to the original sender. The
* original sender, however, is invited to prepare an
* update of the replies received and to communicate it
* via DMANET.
* DISCRETE MATHEMATICS AND ALGORITHMS NETWORK (DMANET)